Add Your Heading Text Here

Home Forums Commons As Culture Sacred Sites and Cultural Landscapes Keeping alive ancient tradition of planting trees and worshiping them

0 voices
1 reply
  • Author
      Ramesh Babu
      Participant

Here is the story of Shri J Venkat Subbaiah Garu (Aged 56 years) s/o Venkatappa a resident of Kotakadapalle Village Peddamanyam Mandal, Annamaya District, AP. A farmer and Community resource person is associated with local village institution since early 1990’s taking keen interest in village development activities and in development of common land and attended many environmental oriented programmes.

Drawing inspiration from Vaishnavite philosophy and Bhagavad Gita
      Spiritually inspired by Vaishnavite philosophy and Bhagavad Gita he is continuing an ancient tradition of reverence and worship of tress and animals. The basis for this symbolic worship is the basic belief that God is all pervading and omnipotent that manifests in everything.

He brought the two saplings of Neem and Fig tree from the meeting he attended at Thimmamma Marrimanu and planted them near the temple. According to him as per Vaishnavite philosophy, holy Raavi Chettu (holy fig tree, Ficus religiosa) is respected as lord Vishnu, while holy Vepa Chettu (neem or margosa tree, Azadirachta indica) is considered Goddess Lakshmi (consort of Lord Vishnu). Usually, these two trees are planted together and worshipped in the temples of Lord Vishnu’s incarnations like Lord Rama. Every year sacred marriage of Lord Vishnu (fig) and his consort Lakshmi (neem) is celebrated.

He has also organized a religious function feeding some 500 members of community by mobilizing some Rs 1.00 lakh a large part of it was contributed members of the community to solemnize the relationship between two tresses…

He also quoted a verse from Bhagavad Gita
      अश्वत्थ: सर्ववृक्षाणां देवर्षीणां च नारद: |
      गन्धर्वाणां चित्ररथ: सिद्धानां कपिलो मुनि: || 26||
      aśhvatthaḥ sarva-vṛikṣhāṇāṁ devarṣhīṇāṁ cha nāradaḥ
      gandharvāṇāṁ chitrarathaḥ siddhānāṁ kapilo muniḥ
      BG 10.26: Amongst trees I am the peepal tree (sacred fig tree); of the celestial sages I am Narad. Amongst the gandharvas I am Chitrath, and amongst the siddhas I am sage Kapil.

Connecting back to the significance in today’s context he said that it makes all more sense that every community in their village should plant both these trees Ficus religiosa or sacred fig as they have a very soothing effect on people who sit under it. Since it expands by sending down aerial roots, it is huge and provides cooling shade in a large area release back abundant oxygen and Azadirachta indica for its medicinal value.

Ramesh Babu
      Participant

photo

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX