Add Your Heading Text Here

Home Forums Commons As Micro Habitat Biodiversity Commons as Pollinator Reservoirs

0 voices
0 replies
  • Author
      Manju
      Participant

Several of our agricultural farms in semi-arid lands are surrounded by common lands, sometimes forested, sometimes heavily degraded. Often, these lands are dotted with old trees, scrub forests and waterbodies. Precisely the kind of habitats preferred by native bees.

In rural Bahraich in northern UP, a survey of bee nesting sites in and around agricultural farms gives a glimpse of the role of –
      – mud structures such as old buildings (Kaccha makaan)
      – cavities and crevices in old trees
      – hedge diversity around farms
      – weed diversity within the farms

Bees cannot distinguish between chemical free and pesticide sprayed flowers while foraging. But it is believed that chemicals have a negative impact on bee colonies, apart from the fact that honey collected from bee hives or boxes in the vicinity of pesticide sprayed crops is not safe for human consumption.

In our bee nest spotting trails, we were often led by children to nests of Trigona, less visible than Apis dorsata or Apis cerana. While some village folk believe that bees play a role in improving their crop output, others see no connection between bees and fruit set in crops. Irrespective of bees are perceived, most natives are aware of where the nesting sites are. They also understand that with the increase in concrete buildings, Trigona bee nesting substrates have diminished.

Some of these locals are nothing less than conservation heroes and their knowledge holds great value.

Manju
      Participant

Hi Manju,
      That is very interesting to know individuals from communities still carry information on their landscape, especially specific aspects like beehives. I am particularly interested in looking at what kind of knowledge individuals, especially children retain about features of their landscape such as beehives. I and a couple of colleagues are working in a rather badly damaged landscape in western rajasthan and am keen to document features of the landscape as well as knowledge that people have. Would like to know more about how you went about your research. Should you ever come to Rajasthan we would love to take you to our study area and figure out what all we can see and need to look at in such landscapes from a pollination perspective.

Manju
      Participant

I think it will be very valuable to document ecological indicators in the landscape you mention. As part of the FES engagement in Bhilwara, we had carried out a survey of bee nesting sites around mustard farms. I will share the report with you by email.

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX