Add Your Heading Text Here

Home Forums Commons As Culture Sacred Sites and Cultural Landscapes Andhra Pradesh-Culture and Commons: The temple of Sri Siddeshwara swami.

This topic contains 0 voices and has 0 replies.
0 voices
0 replies
  • Author
      Indu
      Participant

In continuation of my previous post, “Andhra Pradesh-Culture and Commons: The Sacred Grove of Thimmamma Marrimanu”, in this post I am going to brief on a cultural landmark that is in the Commons. The temple in question is in cheekurpalli panchayat, Bangarupalyam mandalam, Chittoor. It is the temple of Siddeshwara Swami located in Sri Siddeshwara Gutta. These commons are across 500 acres.
      The specialty of the temple is that Lord Shiva is worshipped as an idol instead of as a Linga. His idol shows him deep in meditation. This is a rarity as Lord Shiva is worshipped often as a Linga. This temple has four famous Shiva shrines which were built and patronized by Pallavas during the 7th and 8th centuries. This temple had a glorious time during the period of King Raja Mahendra of the Noolamba dynasty. This Temple has both Pallava and Chola’s style of temple architecture. Part of the temple is now in ruins. While jatras are usually held for major festivals, Rathotsavam will be held during the months of Feb or March, depending on the Hindu Calendar.
      As for the connection of the temple with commons and development of villagers, the existence of the temple itself acts as an inspiration for the unity for the community. The commons of the area, in addition to the cultural use, support cattle grazing, agricultural inputs and access to basic resources to the villagers. The donations or funding that is available to the temple is used for the development of the temple and the commons which enhance the developmental aspects of the villagers in many parameters.
      While examining the data provided by the villages at my position of internship, I learnt that the non-APDMP mandals have a harder time entering their commons into POB. My source on this cultural landmark confirmed that the temple’s existence and popularity made it considerably easier for POB entry. The area is far more developed with tar roads to the temple because of the pilgrimage that the temple receives. This is an amazing example for me on the effect of cultural landmarks on the Commons.

Topic tags

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

People Who Like Thisx

People Who viewed ThisX